What to do if Your Facebook Business Page Has Been Recategorized
I’m hearing that a lot of buzz this week from business owners about their business pages on Facebook being recategorized to a community page. If your Business Page has been recategorized, Facebook will send you a message that looks like this:
Facebook uses an automated process to sweep the millions of pages to determine the best category, so it’s not surprising that so many Business Pages are thrown into the wrong category.
So, what’s the difference between a Community Page and an Official Page? Here’s how Facebook’s definition:
Community pages are built around topics, causes or experiences. Many community pages display Wikipedia articles about the topics they represent, as well as related posts from other people on Facebook in real time.
Official pages are maintained by authorized representatives of a business, brand, celebrity, or organization, and they can create and share content about the entities that they represent.
If you’re certain your Business Page was wrongly recategorized as a Community Page, all is not lost. You can appeal the decision by visiting the ”Request for Community-Created Page Review” page and enter the following:
- Page name (exactly as it appears on your Business Page)
- Page URL
- What your page represents – Your product or service. Example: My page represents Endurance Marketing, an online marketing agency.
- Your Page description – Here they want to know why your page should NOT be categorized as a community. What makes it an Official Page (see the description above and start there.) Tell them you’re the business owner or official representative. There’s plenty of room to describe what your Page is focused on, so don’t be shy. The more info the better, I say.
Then you wait. I don’t have any information about how long the review process takes, but if you’ve received that message and it’s an error, don’t ignore it. Get that appeal info to them ASAP. It sounds like there’s going to be a backlog!
Have you had success getting your Business Page recategorized BACK to an Official Page? How long did it take? Share with our readers in the comments below. Thanks!
Latest posts by Gwen (see all)
- The Two Questions Your Social Media Consultant Should Ask You - May 1, 2013
- How to Create More B2B Content - March 27, 2013
- How to Add Pinterest to Your Facebook Page - January 18, 2013